Continuing our series of posts about how the Livescribe 3 Smartpen helps specific users I’m looking at how the new Smartpen can help the executive coach/leadership mentor deliver more interactive, outcome driven engagement with their clients.
The role of the executive coach/leadership mentor is to help develop better leaders – not by solving problems for them but by helping them to make better decisions. Australia’s leading executive mentor group is The Executive Connection, an organisation that I’ve been a member of and resource speaker, for quite a few years.
Better One on One Engagement
A core part of what the TEC executive coach provides to members is the one-on-one coaching session. I’ve often sat in one-to-one meetings and we’ve ended up with copious notes across a variety of topics – some long, some short, all with unique action items and outcome expectations.
The key to getting more out of this type of meeting (for both the mentor and the member) is to firstly take better notes (which doesn’t mean writing down every single thing), and secondly to be focused on what needs to happen after the coaching session is over. And this is where the Livescribe 3 Smartpen really helps.
The Livescribe 3 Smartpen is the simple combination of pen and paper – but it’s what it can also do that really adds value for the executive coach.
How can the Livescribe 3 smartpen help the Executive Coach?
For organisations like TEC and its members, the most important element of a successful one-on-one meeting isn’t a piece of hardware or software—it’s the people who are attending and their ability to be in the moment – and the Livescribe 3 smartpen supports this.
- Pen and paper are still the most effective way to take notes for a number of reasons including:
- There is no physical barrier between you and the other participants
- Writing on glass isn’t particularly easy and often ends up being a distraction
- It aides memory function
- Notes that are taken down instantly form the basis of an action item – they can be added to calendars, emailed, tagged and stored in cloud services like DropBox or Evernote. The key here is that the Livescribe 3 smartpen becomes the digital bridge – allowing us to effortlessly move from our written word into our digital world.
- It supports participation. By minimising distractions the coach and member are more effectively engaged in the discussion.
If you’d like to know more about how the Livescribe 3 smartpen could help you, feel free to leave a comment on this post or contact us via email or our social media channels.