Today I’m pleased to announce the launch of the next generation Livescribe digital pen – the Livescribe 3 smartpen.
This latest evolution smartpen from Livescribe represents a dramatic new design and technology focus. For the past couple of months we’ve been working closely with Livescribe beta-testing this pen. It’s an exciting new look and feel for Livescribe smartpens with new features (which I’ve summarised below the YouTube video).
What are the new models
Livescribe 3 smartpen is available in two new models:
- Livescribe 3 smartpen standard edition – this is the base model and is configured like earlier smartpens with the pen, A5 notebook, USB cable, and ink refill.
- Livescribe 3 smartpen Pro Edition – like previous Pro Editions, this package includes the pen, a new black leather portfolio, larger 100p journal, and a 12-month subscription to Evernote Premium.
Quick Summary of Livescribe 3
The following points are a quick summary of the new Livescribe 3 smartpen:
- This product has (initially) been built to work exclusively with iOS7 devices that are Bluetooth Smart capable (read the FAQ here re suitable devices) – yes, this might upset many of you who live in the Android camp – I’ll address this in a follow up blog post tomorrow.
- The new design – The goal was to create a premium writing instrument – something with loads of visual appeal.
- What’s gone from the smartpen – the LED screen, the microphone, the speaker – why you may ask? Just spend a few minutes with the Livescribe 3 and Livescribe+ (the free app) and you’ll understand why.
- New Features in the free app Livescribe+ – a lot of new features in the dedicated app including:
- Convert handwriting to text – this happens instantly and does as good a job as MyScript.
- Snippets – your page of notes is now broken down into micro notes; allowing you to use small pieces of notes to create tasks, reminders, contacts and calendar events.
- Add photos and text memos to notes to add context and clearly communicate details.
- Share written notes, photographs and diagrams as PDF files over Mail, Messages, Evernote, Dropbox and other apps
- Pencast PDF’s are back – the Livescribe+ app brings Pencast PDF’s back – you can create and share PDF’s that include notes and audio.
Smartpen has stock available now for immediate dispatch.
In the coming days we’ll be posting a lot of new content around this new smartpen. As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us